Thursday, August 16, 2012

From Marcos to Marilaque

From Marcos to Marilaque 9:42 pm | Thursday, July 12th, 2012 I concur with the idea of a letter-sender that the name of Marcos highway be changed (Inquirer, 6/30/12). However, I do not share the view that it should be changed because it is named after a despotic president. My reason for advocating a change of name is different. Marcos Highway refers to any of the following highways: Marikina-Infanta (Quezon province) Highway; the highway connecting San Nicolas, Manila and Navotas City; the highway connecting Agoo, La Union and Baguio City which at present is also known as Aspiras Highway. Confusion or disorientation arises, no doubt, as to the name of these highways. To clear up the confusion, I suggest that the name, Marcos Highway, of the highway connecting Marikina City and Quezon province be changed. This major thoroughfare is also known as Marilaque Highway, which stands for Marikina-Rizal-Laguna-Quezon. I remember this from my days as a student of UP Diliman. My classmates and I occasionally traversed this highway in going to Laguna for a field study and a professor of Anthropology told us that Marcos Highway was also referred to as Marilaque Highway. Simply put, why not change this highway into Marilaque Highway? —REGINALD B. TAMAYO, acting assistant city council secretary, Marikina City

No comments:

Post a Comment