Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Is the Church irrelevant?

Dear Friend,

I truly enjoyed your letter and agree with most of your insight in the downward spiral of our country. I left the Philippines in 1963 when we were second only to Japan in the economy and first in Asia in education and in mastery of the English language so much so that many Asian countries send their citizens here if only to gain education and learn he English language. I was so excit3d that I remember excitedly telling my dad, who saw me off on the ship to San Francisco, "Pagbabalik ko number 1 na tayo!" I did not get the chance to return until a decade later and to my amazement our country was rapidly deteriorating!

May I be bold to lay the major part of the blame to the CHURCH, which has become inutil and irrelevant in its mandate to Proclaim the Gospel and disciple its adherents into the teachings of The Lord Jesus Christ. This is supported by our IGNORANCE of the Scriptures. The Church had become a habit, a tradition, nothing more. The Life-changing Gospel is glaringly absent in its teachings.
What when we see Bishops going to Malacanang and taking bribes!! When a mass is said in the palace among crooks who assuaged their consciences with a bunch of mambo-jumbo and leaving worst than they first came.

The Church has lost (Don't really think they had it) the life and heart changing GOspel. I teach Bible Study in the campus of a local University here in Dagupan and am appalled at the lack of, even a hint, of scriptural knowledge among the devout Catholics that attend. They are devoid of spirituality though deeply religious!

Prayer is our only hope, GOd's people banging on heaven's gates asking for mercy and grace.

Until the Nets are Full,

Douglas G. Chanco
Dagupan City

May the Lord's peace and joy be with you today and always.

Your Brother In Christ,


Doug (Matt 25:40)

No comments:

Post a Comment